Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It's been almost a month

It's been almost a month since I checked in, so I figured it was about time to say something.

Let's start off with a training update:

:-\

Now that we got that out of the way I'll fill in the insignificant details.

Work is still hectic, but with fewer routes running during the summer I have more time to shovel the pile of corporate bull crap.  It really only interferes with my training in the fact that I'm never sure when they are going to decide to change 7 policies and expect me to finish 8 days of compiling information and writing reports in 4 hours.

My knees can't decide if they are going to hurt or not.  There is no rhyme or reason why they are so sore that I can barely walk for a few days, then suddenly they are relatively pain free.  I don't know ... I do know that I'm going to find a way to work around the issue and accomplish a couple of my goals.

As far as training, it's not that I'm doing nothing ... it's just that I'm not doing what I need to do to achieve my objectives.  I could easily use the work or the knees as a handy excuse for why I'm not doing anything, but the truth is the problem is mostly between my ears.

Which brings me to another point ... My brain is going to drive me crazy.  I know I accomplished something by finishing a half marathon under the circumstances I was dealing with.  I am not unhappy with the effort ... sort of.  I know I could have finished the full marathon ... I could have run the majority of the full marathon and finished it in a pretty good time absent the knees and missing the last 6 weeks of training.  When I look at the medal, or the pictures, or whatever it brings a mix of emotions ... Gosh I did pretty good, but damn it I should have done better ... whatever.

So now I've worked on a very feasible training program and I'm kind of excited to jump in feet first (almost literally because it involves more swimming and water running), but my brain is playing the "I don't want to" game ... Why ?!?

The past few days have been hot by So Cal standards.  I hate hot, it makes me flat out miserable ... miserable grumpy and irritable.  You would think I would get to town as fast as I legally could and jump in the pool to cool off ... Nope!  Why?  I don't exactly know.  I'm hoping if I ramble about it her for a bit I might have one of those epiphany things and realize something profound ... so far nothing.

My training calendar has me starting July 1 for the half marathon in September ... I didn't make it.  Tonight is bowling, so I won't be at the gym tonight.  I'm going to have to set my car's auto pilot on and set it for the gym when I leave work tomorrow so I can get on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment